Friday, March 15, 2013
Got a commission to make another bobblehead.... this time for a birthday cake for someone's husband who likes surfing. Start with my usual 50-50 modelling chocolate and fondant mix to make the head. This one's a bit challenging because the photos were not the most ideal. The only front shot was a younger version of the husband... a very much younger version, like 30 years younger! There were no side shot of the face and the other more recent pics were 3/4 views, which are the worst reference for sculpting coz 1/4 of the face is unknown.
Anyway, here's what I came up with...
Anyway, here's what I came up with...
Nice balancing on the surfboard for a person his age... tee hee hee. Unfortunately, the following day it got hot and humid and he had a tumble.... oops!
Plan B - scrap the body, keep the head. Gave him a new body and new pose. This one he's more stable sitting on some waves which I shaped from blue isomalt while it's still very hot... ouch!
Wednesday, February 20, 2013
The making of Bobblehead Drew, a caricature sculpted from modelling chocolate and fondant.
Bobblehead Drew with the real Drew
Friday, February 8, 2013
I didn't take any progress pics yesterday coz it was the most stressful cake day ever, but here're some progress pics of making Skateboarder Kyle.
8 February 2013
I had only one day to put everything together. I've never decorated a cake within a day, I've always done it over two days; but Jo wanted the cake on a Friday night. I wasn't sure I could finish decorating a cake within a day, so the day didn't start on a confident note. I was already feeling stressed out.
Okay, deep breath.... first thing's first: covered an A3-size foam board with cake foil. Rolled out fondant and covered the cake board. My least favourite things to do - kneading and rolling out fondant, so get that done first up. Also, it's a good idea to get the board all prepped up so it has time to dry and harden, less chance of denting it later with fingerprints and all.
Next is making the buttercream; again, not my favourite, not for summer because it doesn't hold up well to the heat unlike ganache but Jo wanted buttercream to offset the richness of the chocolate mud cake. Bimbi made the buttercream with Nioka Guest's buttercream recipe but with a few twists - homemade butter instead of regular butter and I also added a block of melted white chocolate and omitted the 1/4 cup water. Buttercream turned out really fluffy and light, like a cloud, the lightest and fluffiest buttercream I've ever seen. It also tasted divine, no greasiness at all.
By the time I finished covering the cake, it was almost 4:00pm. Time to airbrush but guess what? It's a scorching high 30C outside. The buttercream would turn to mush in that heat and our shoebox house is simply too small to airbrush indoors without having paint vapours ending up everywhere. Tried dusting with grey petal dust for a cement look, turned out blotchy. Tried hand-painting, turned out worse. The board looked like crap and the cake just looked dirty. Didn't look like a skateboard ramp in the slightest. SO ready to chuck it in the bin, close to tears. Never been this stressed out with a cake before. I've always been able to fix things but just didn't feel I could fix any of these. In addition, the bloody buttercream started to melt and was now oozing out of the seams, causing parts of the cake to bulge out. Hmmm... I should just call Jo and say "No deal on this one."
Hubby came home and set up the Dinkydoodle outside. Stuff it, I'll have to airbrush, if it melts, it melts, too bad! Finished airbrushing, buttercream oozing out of every cake crevice.... back into the fridge again. SO OVER this cake!
The dramas didn't stop there either. When I tried to attach the graffiti name which I painted few weeks ago, it wouldn't fit on the cake, well... coz I hadn't factored in the graffiti number-18. Quickly painted another graffiti name, stuck it on the cake, slippery sliding all over the ramp, had to hold it in place and held my breath at the same time. Finally, it decided to stay...
Friday, February 1, 2013
Saturday, January 26, 2013
It's my dinner!
A few weeks in advance, make bones from Satin Ice ivory fondant, score then brush with Americolor airbrush dark brown and tints of red. Leave them to dry, post pic and freak out some FB friends... yes, I'm sick in the head like that.
Make buttercream and coz it's hot in summer, I used Nioka's half-half butter and melted copha recipe, whip it real good till it's pale and fluffy, add icing sugar mix. I also threw in some white chocolate ganache, vanilla essence and 1 to 2 teaspoons of pavlova magic. Whip till stiff, and into the fridge to chill.
Crumb coat the cake with buttercream, and back into the fridge to chill some more.
Now comes the bit I love to do - airbrushing!! Airbrush the fries...
Wednesday, January 16, 2013
This is how I made a skateboarder from modelling chocolate and fondant.
Start bottom up. Make shoes and socks. Skewer through one shoe and build up the legs. I inserted a toothpick in the other leg just to keep it straight. I used a mix of 50-50 modelling chocolate and fondant. This takes advantage of both worlds - the workability and springiness of fondant and the strength of modelling chocolate. Usually with just fondant, I'll have to leave this to dry at least overnight if not a few days.
But with modelling chocolate in the mix, I can keep working and build up the pants as well. Would you believe it, this is standing on its own, no propping up. Can't do that with pure fondant. And... no cracking, no elephant skin wrinkling. Gotta be happy with that!
Next, sleeves were attached. I then made the arms and hands, left l for about 1 minute and attached to the sleeves, again no need to prop up. They basically stayed where I intended them to. Attach head and he's ready to partay!